Monday, June 12, 2006

VM's Original Thought : Residual Religionism

This is something I have discussed with couple of my friends and have been meaning to write about for quite sometime. This has also been the fruitions of one of those countless introspective sessions that I have.

What lead me to this concept was just plain observation. I call myself an agnostic! For most of the time it holds true, except during certain circumstances: when i lay my foot on some paper, or my leg happens to fall on some person, whereupon i automatically do: touch the person as if asking for forgiveness. Although when i think about it later, i find the act unnecessary bordering on ridiculousness,but it's a spontaneous involuntary action. And surprisingly, I have seen this happen not just to me but countless other people.

This is what led me to coining the term 'Residual Religionism'. This is not religion as is followed but it is what that has been acquired. Right from our childhood, most of us are being brought up in an environment surrounding godliness. The inquisitive child is lambasted left right and centre with rituals, be it visiting temples, or during festivals or even day to day praying, that somewhere along the line inquisitiveness gives way to discipline and blind faith. So even when the child grows and eventually decides to pour out the religion out of his system, the rituals which are as much an integral part of the person as his flesh and bones is left behind as residue.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home